The Importance of Exercise + Nutrition


This blog was written in partnership with Your4

We’ve all heard it, but what is the 70/30 rule when it comes to progress and balance in your fitness journey? It’s that for most people, nutrition makes up 70 percent of body composition and exercise makes up the other 30 percent. Therefore, everything you need to maximize your physical goals is based on what you are putting into your body and what you are doing with your body in terms of your exercise routine. 

70 percent: Nutrition 

Fueling your body properly is key to seeing success with your workout routine. Whether you are looking to lose weight, bulk up or just maintain a healthy lifestyle, your nutrition habits matter. Finding the right mix of foods makes all the difference in discovering effective and sustainable results. However, this mix of foods is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Everybody is different and needs a different mix of proteins, fats and carbohydrates in his or her overall diet. Tracking all three of these macronutrients can help determine the right balance of essential components for appropriate body composition, energy levels and hormone health. When eating too many carbs, your body might feel tired and sluggish. If you are not eating enough protein, your body is unable to burn fat effectively. Not eating enough good fats can also have lasting effects on your skin, hormones and hair!  Exercise often gets the first thought, but nutrition actually makes a bigger difference on how you look and feel! BUT, not in a vacuum!

30 percent: Exercise 

Exercise works hand-in-hand with nutrition to establish success in your health journey and body composition. A healthy diet alone will not shake that stubborn body fat or help push past that next PR. Sustaining an exercise routine can benefit your overall health, stave off diseases, maintain and build muscle functions, mental clarity and overall quality of life! Just like nutrition, exercise can look different for everyone based on fitness goals. If you are interested in bulking up, a CrossFit class might be for you or selecting heavier weights in an X⁴ class. X⁴ classes are great for those looking for a good cardio-based workout and can help improve your endurance. Any form of exercise is great and vital to your overall health. Going on a walk, attending a class at Nexus and remembering to listen to your body is crucial to seeing the results you are working towards. 

30 + 70 = 100 

All systems in your body need to function at their best in order to see results along your fitness journey. Your muscles can’t recover properly if you are not eating the right things. Your body can’t build muscle or burn fat if it doesn’t have the proper nutrients. Prioritizing your nutrition along with exercise can get you to your end goal and to 100 percent! 

If you’re interested in learning more about nutrition and personalized coaching, check out Your4. If you’re looking for the whole package, email us to learn more about our current joint promotion. Your4 mixed with classes at Nexus Fitness can help you reach all your health and fitness goals! Try a free class today!